9.12.2006

who will entrust the true riches to you

These pages have many references to the likes of Osteen and the other purveyors of the blasphemy that is the Health & Wealth gospel. Get Religion has a whole write-up on the recent Time magazine discussion of it. I'd refer you to my previous thoughts on it, but I'd rather not waste my time reminding myself of how often I was throwing up in my mouth.

The thing of it is, the Health & Wealth gospel is a sibling to the Randy Alcorn vision of Heaven and its mansions and sparkly crowns, no? It appeals to the human sin of greed. It's like a very clear bribe to be converted. Get prosperous here on earth. Then head upstairs to the mansion in the sky on the boulevard paved with gold. It's like a trophy wife marrying a man for his millions.

It is why, I suppose, the Lord states that He seeks a repentant heart above all things. Lord doesn't want you to love Him for His riches or His promises of goodness to you. Lord wants you to realize your state of need, your need for salvation, and then seek Him as the answer to all things. Appealing to people's avarice and downplaying their salvation need is such a twist on the truth that only the devil can be behind it. Time and Get Religion need not merely state the conflict that that belief has with Scripture. They need to flat out call it what it is: liar's lie.

No comments: