10.23.2006

a sincere heart in full assurance

It's like I don't remember this exists, I'm sure is the prevailing thought. Simply not the case. Sometimes that ten minutes to craft out a post really doesn't exist or exists against the choice of another activity deemed of more importance. Sometimes all that exists is the three-second scrawl of a thought or theme.

Today I look at a scrawl that reads "no leave orph v18". If it weren't for the steel-trap I call a mind, I wouldn't remember that John14:18 struck me as something worth examining.

It's odd that believers today quibble over the Lord's words as if He wasn't clear on a topic. You go through John and you can see all of the definitive statements He made; they were never maybe statements. And in v18, He makes two tender promises: not only that He would never leave or forsake us, but also that He will come again.

v18 seems to me one of the many singular v's in the Word that boils down what faith is. Faith in this v is a belief that God is always with us, and that God is returning. All between and around that is a complication of the truth. Lord promises companionship in ways other companions can only overpromise. This waterwalking can be made all the easier when we remember His promise to be before you, reaching out to you, hands extended, walking toward you, hands extended.

No comments: