12.01.2006

friend, move up higher

Posed a facetiously rhetorical question to the wondrous one yesterday. "Why can't we be mediocre?" Why do we have to try so hard to be better? Why must we desire to be something more? Why must we have that wanting in us to reach some potential? Why must we reject relativity, especially when that relativity could stop all this reaching?

Wondrous one always answers that question by referring to the endlessness of eternity and the short supply of crowns and rewards. Since I somewhat chalk both up to mythical notions wrought from a human perspective, I only half buy that response.

I buy that mediocrity to me is the difference between knowing Him and knowing Him. I buy that mediocrity is the difference between me following close enough to reach out and touch the hem of His robe and getting lost in a circle amid trees that look so familiar. I buy that mediocrity is the difference between no hesitation between His concerned hand lifting my chin when I fall and wondering why no one can hear my tears falling. I buy that mediocrity is the difference between me being who I want to be and a who whose pockets are empty but lined with regrets.

And those differences are neither facetious nor rhetorical.

No comments: