12.22.2006

joyfully with a loud voice

Wonderful story behind the carol "O Holy Night" can be found here. Recent poll at Beliefnet has the carol as the current favorite one among respondents, with slightly more than a healthy 1 in 3 declaring their partiality for it. All with the chops add this one to their Christmas releases for the towering and chill-inducing top notes; those chills no doubt the reason behind the 1 in 3. For my part, I am partial to it because the melody commands the fullness of your lungs in much the same way Heaven's worship choruses will draw that out of us. It is a good seasonal reminder that even those of us without the chops are still called to use all within us to make a joyful noise.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

One of my personal favorites. I was hopeful that we would sing it this morning but we did not. However, last Sunday I went to the evening Mars Hill Church service and they did O Holy Night the best it has ever been done-at least in my opinion.

And did have to use the fullness of my lungs to keep up for worship during that song!

Good story, I never knew.