4.11.2007

for this we labor and strive

The lead shepherd of my flock is a big believer in the importance of having and tracking and pressing on toward spiritual goals. Another brother today made the point that a year-long sermon schedule should be tied to a church's set of goals.

We live in a society that is goal-oriented. Some of that can be traced back to a pretty famous book. Modern resumes now contain career objectives. Personnel plans and annual reviews are focused on goals and goal accomplishments. Annual resolutions on the first of the year revolve around goals.

It is weird for me to see the societal focus on goals brought into the faith. This idea of Christian ambition fills me with mixed emotions. On one hand, if setting goals helps me to be a better employee or a healthier individual, shouldn't I use that same process and mindset to be a better child of God or a more spiritually healthy person? Paul makes it clear in Phil3 that we have only one goal -- "the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." All other goals should be stepping stone pieces of this larger one.

On the other hand, ambition is an ugly thing. Its deepest roots feed in the pool of pride. Its focus is self-improvement. The goal of becoming a better Christian (as I stated in my most recent message before the flock) is losing the self and gaining Christ. Christian ambition to me seems like an oxymoron.

I think this whole post is an exercise in dwelling in semantics, but I can't be sure.

No comments: