6.20.2007

the Mighty One and

Ps73 contains some breathtaking lines of worship. v25-28 especially:

"Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. For, behold, those who are far from You will perish; You have destroyed all those who are unfaithful to You. But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, that I may tell of all Your works."

God is called the "strength of my heart." In a world of Hummers and steroids and UFC matches, in a society that values power above all else, God is the strength of my heart. The power He has is the power to love and to encourage and to provide hope and to provide meaning and to still a man in his tracks to still him with an overwhelming sense of smallness compared to the bigness that is eternity.

There is strength, and then there is strength.

No comments: