9.04.2007

there takes place a change of

Confession time: Been watching a particular show lately. In many ways, it reminds me of another guilty pleasure. You'd think I might also like another similar show, but you'd be wrong. I said I'm interested in renovation; I didn't say I'm a woman.

The actual stories behind the before-after transformations holds no interest for me. Neither do the tensions inherent in going from before to after. If either show were five minute long clips showing the pre and the post, I'd be just as satisfied. I'm interested in the ends, not the means.

Renovation, rehabilitation, transformation -- if you're a shepherd of any kind, if you're gifting is evangelism, if you're interested in devoting your life to ministry, these are words you must come to love. More importantly, these are words that you must come to desire. Improvement, going from here to there, from before to after, this is the heart of Christianity. Grace transforming nothing to something. Calvary making death into life.

If you aren't interested in seeing how something rundown becomes something worth the world, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you aren't good at understanding symbolism.

No comments: