10.11.2007

the gospel of all creation

A brother this weekend will be preaching on the gospel -- what it is, and what it is not. If you need to know what the gospel is, you can't get a better explanation than the one found HERE. Been also thinking about Foursquare churches. If you need to know what they believe, you can't get a better explanation than the one found HERE.

So why the two links? Another lazy post?

There is something wonderful about having clarity in what you believe about God. The rest of life is absolutely confusing. Grey areas abound. Life isn't a series of yes/no questions. Who we are and what we do changes so quickly from moment to moment that when we do get peace and quiet and a moment to ourselves, we almost don't know what to do with that time.

It is so easy to make religion -- the most important aspect of your life -- something more complicated than it is. And no doubt as you wrestle with how to shepherd and how to serve and how to love, faith can be a tad more twisty a road than you would desire. But that is why a focus on the gospel, a focus on the good news of Jesus Christ, is so important. That is why a church with a clear belief and mission is so effective. Having a clear grasp of who He is and what He has done and how you should then glorify Him makes all the difference in the world.

5 comments:

Kevin said...

One of these days during our busy lives I would like to get together with you and share good conversation over a cup of coffee and maybe trade book suggestions.

Also,

I think that I can have clarity in what I believe about God now, but I also see that as an always changing thing. By saying this, I do not mean to shun away dogmatic truths or other lists compiled in order to make sure that your not a pagan :) But what I mean is to say that the more I experience God, the more I understand God, the more or less I come to know what I believe about God. I don't always look at God as a Yes/No type of situation. God is bigger than that.

Also... :)

While I think it is okay and good for a church to have a clear belief and mission--I don't see that as what brings a church the title of being effective (though I know this may not be what you meant and by no means am I trying to miss quote you).

However, you last sentence "Having a clear grasp of who He is and what He has done and how you should then glorify Him makes all the difference in the world" , this is by far the truest and best statement of the entire post.

Here is the thing....

People know the right answers, but many people don't let their lives live this. I know you know this. But it is worth mentioning. I think that part of this is sin, but the other part can be because the church (western universal) has no idea what to do about the problem and is stuck in a continuous motion of doing the same thing every week, every month and every year.

And lastly, another large problem we as people face,

We have no idea what it means to suffer for the Gospel as Paul mentioned all throughout his letters.

I may have mentioned this before, but it is a huge part of my life right now and I am fighting to find answers. Answers from God who is always changing for me as my relationship grows with Him.

Cheers!

Wept_over said...

I'd add something to this comment if I could, but it perfectly defines the struggle of faith for imperfect people. Our understanding of God does change as we grow (as it should); we don't know how to live lives of wild abandon for Him; and the western church doesn't know how to get us to do it either. Ergo, continuously broken people running to catch up with a wondrous God.

Wept_over said...

Also, coffee? Whenever you want to.

Kevin said...

Was my comment longer than your post??? :)

Wept_over said...

Brevity is the soul of wit.