12.31.2007

and am surely distracted

Proof I'm not a perfect Christian #2,346: I admit that there are certain worship songs that just don't do it for me. Others like them, sure. But my worship is actually affected when certain songs come up in the service order. Rather than focusing on the greatness of God (the point of worship), I'm distracted by how little I care for the words and melodies of particular tunes.

Yesterday was one such moment where there were several of my least favorites being played. And as I mentally distanced myself from my surroundings, I caught sight of a brother and sister who were home for the first time after a year away in Niger, Africa as missionaries. For them, being surrounded by believers, being surrounded by songs of worship for the first time in a year, you could almost see the waves of joy and love being radiated from their beings toward Christ.

And here I was wondering why anyone would choose these particular songs. In John4, Jesus says God looks for believers who will worship Him in Spirit and in truth. Still have much to learn about what that means.

No comments: