3.17.2008

my soul longed and even yearned for

Despite the distractions, Holy Week always hits me sharply. Rather than the clouds that threaten my focus the rest of the year, the opposite is true during Holy Week -- it's actually thoughts of Christ that threaten focus on everything else. I need to finish work, and yet I'd rather be pulled to meditation on John19. I need to spend time with the family engaged in conversation, and yet I'd rather watch the Passion and wrench my heart to shards. I need to run errands and do taxes and pay bills, and yet I'd rather listen to worship music and have my soul become undone.

The striking thing is that during Holy Week, my heart's desire is what it should be year round. My desire should always be the Lord above all things, with only the strength of the will He has given me allowing me to daily live a life He has called me to live. During Holy Week I understand what the Apostle Paul felt every second of every day -- that "to live is Christ, and to die is gain." {Phil1:21} No better time than preceding Easter to sharpen one's focus on the things of God. No better time to remember that that sharpened focus should never depart you, never depart you.

No comments: