5.12.2008

speaks from his own nature

In an ABF yesterday on John, we poked around John12, and we see Judas crying over spilled nard. A friend reacted viscerally to Judas, and as I listened to his anger & hatred of the betrayer, I cautioned him against dwelling too much on Judas as some supreme emblem of betrayal.

"Judas sinned not sure Jesus was or was not the Son of God. I know He is the Son of God, and I sin every day. Which is the worse betrayal?"

Saturday night in a farewell for friends, I noted that one of the qualities I admired most about one of the departers was her openness to her true nature -- that "she'd be the first to admit that at base she was terrible, and that it is only by the redemptive power of Christ does she stand." The Catholic in me shares the same quality -- recognition of my wretchedness, and recognition of His saving grace.

Christ cautions us against judging a brother without first taking the log out of our own eyes. He certainly makes that statement to ensure we're not being hypocrites, sure, but I think he also wants to remind us of Rom3:23. All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. All.

No comments: