9.20.2008

and of our reason for

Question: should we bring a business perspective into thinking about how churches operate?

On the one hand, churches currently operate as business entities. They have to hire staff and budget like a business. They have to follow govt. restrictions like a business. They have to think of the future and plan for the future. They speak about growth. They have vision statements. They set goals.

On the other hand, they aren't businesses. They're about salvation, not profit. They think outside of the world rather than in it. They seek God's glory rather than personal glory (except Osteen and his ilk).

Been thinking of the ministries of my church, and unfortunately, when I do, I think in terms of ROI -- Return on Investment, for non biz types. Because I know churches have limited resources -- both financially, and in terms of time and people -- I don't think churches should be in the business of having as many ministries as there are people interested in particular causes. If an activity put on by a church doesn't result in something tangible, I question it's value. Just because something has always been done doesn't mean it should continue to be carried forth if I can't see the end effect.

You're going to tell me that I'll never see the eternal fruit of certain ministries and activities and that justifies their existence. Sure. Use divine reason. Like that's fair in this argument.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Yesterday was a job fair.

There was too much to chose from.

People found new access routes to get where they were going to stay as far as they could from us.

Awesome!