10.10.2008

did not burden you myself

Even with yesterday's post, more to say about 2Sam24. Note that two of David's punishments affected people other than David (7 yrs of famine, 3 days of pestilence). As a leader of men, David's potential consequences were to the flocks in his charge. We hate to believe that one person's mistake can cause another one harm, but that's no different than real life, right? The driver who's chosen to stay on the road despite one too many drinks lives with the knowledge that he ended a life. The boss who cheats the financial system bankrupts his company costing thousands their jobs. Our actions have clear reactions that affect those around us.

The sad thing is that this passage teaches me that my shepherd's heart has much growing to do since I'd quite easily prefer others' suffering to my own. Picking between a consequence that affects my whole church on a surface level against another that affects only me but severely, and I have no doubt I'd choose the former. A true shepherd takes on all the beating for his sheep, no?

My church is going through some financial hardships. Question: perhaps one of us did something improper to lead to this situation. Possibility? Sure. I should care more than I do? Most definitely. Something wrong with my heart? No question.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

im sure we are all doing something wrong. But if God punished churches for doing things wrong then why would some of the largest churches in the world be those that share the prosperity gospel?

Wept_over said...

The devil protects churches like Osteen's. And the Lord is content that their punishment will come before His throne. Hello, goats. Welcome to the lake.