12.20.2008

and their conscience being weak

Sometimes I can't tell if I have too little faith. All week the forecasters were predicting a devastating winter storm in our area. I began to get tense by mid-week. By Thursday I was sending emails to our Senior Pastor asking him about the possibility of service cancellation on Sunday. I sent a few more emails Friday. I sent a few more Saturday morning. I scoured websites for proof of the severity of the storm, as well as examples of other churches nixing their services due to inclement weather. I crossed the line between providing useful information to make a decision and outright nagging. I argued that the safety of our flock was my primary concern. My flock, or just my family?

Contrast that to friends in OR who got a foot of snow and will walk to service tomorrow morning when I'm comfortably snug in my home. Or contrast that to the story I once heard of a foreign believer in a muslim country who endured a beating every Sunday when she left for church but to her it was worth it. Maybe I just don't want to worship and fellowship with other believers as much as I should desire that.

Or maybe I understand that the Lord isn't confined to a building on a Sunday morning, and I have a responsibility as a leader to not endanger the elderly and the children and the other believers who must cross icy, snowy roads for a handful of songs. I can really argue this both ways. But I'm not interested in my own judgment; I'm interested in His.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Washington people are lame when it comes to snow.

I have been driving in the storm all night. And will drive in it tomorrow.

It is awesome!!! Just got to be smart and know how to drive in it!