1.19.2009

was still speaking, behold, a crowd

I previously posted some overheard airport conversations. Compared to what I overheard today, those snippets seem completely normal. One of the things that I love about The Office is main character Michael Scott. What makes him hysterical is how completely unaware he is of what he says and how it affects others. One might believe it is impossible to be that self-unaware and this morning's stint at the airport proves that to be wrong.

Sitting literally next to me, a man was on his cellphone speaking to his apparently estranged wife -- not softly, but loudly enough for anyone within 20-30 feet to hear him -- and having the following conversation:

"I can't believe we're having this conversation. I don't want to spend all day flying to get home to you and have the same arguments. (she speaks) Why do you believe that? I'm coming home to you aren't I? (she speaks) You're not going to be happy until I say out loud that I am choosing you over my kids, are you? I would never try to come between you and your kids. (she speaks) I'm coming home, aren't I? I'm your husband aren't I? I haven't hurt you, have I? Or at least much. (she speaks) I'm telling you I don't know. I'm going to hang up if you keep this up, Annette."

I could go on, but it went on like this for no less than 20 min. Loudly. With people around him snickering. It was all I could do not to snicker with them. Of course, I was too busy transcribing his conversation...

No comments: