6.01.2009

and being furiously enraged at

During yesterday's sermon, a point was made that I chose to exclude from my summary because I disagree with it. The preacher remarked that it is "never okay to be angry with God"; that there is no Biblical justification for it; that it represents an "unbelievable display of pride and arrogance"; and that being angry with God is an attack on God's sovereignty.

First, there are lots of things that are attacks on God's sovereignty. When we are disobedient, we are turning from His divine plans for us. When we complain about our circumstances, we are saying that God's ways aren't so cool. When we decide to be proactive and take our lives in our own hands rather than waiting on Him to open/close doors, we are going against His sovereignty. And while we are wrong in doing all these things, we have the freedom and right to do so.

Second, there are Biblical justifications for being angry with God. The book of Jonah, for example. Throughout the Gospels, the disciples often find themselves exasperated with Jesus. A whole crew of them leave following Him at the end of John6, for instance. Doesn't Moses grumble a bunch of times in Exodus? Point being, there are plenty of Biblical heroes who get upset with the ways of God. And make no mistake, it doesn't accomplish anything, and they are certainly in the wrong every time, but that doesn't mean it isn't okay to be angry with God.

God doesn't want stepford wives for followers. God gave us free will to act and feel as we please. And even when the feeling or the action is not righteous, we have the freedom to express them. And God wants us to empty our emotions with Him. If we do find something in our lives that troubles us, He wants us to share it with him in complete honesty and truth and sincerity. Is it better to react in praiseful acceptance no matter the circumstance? Sure. But make no mistake: the Lord wants you coming to Him, crying out to Him, arguing with Him. At least you are there with Him. The alternative -- lying to Him about how we feel, or hiding how we feel -- is worse. He doesn't want our deceit, and He doesn't want us to give Satan opportunities to sow discontent. Anger is a natural human response and emotion. And the last thing God wants us to do when we are with Him is to lose our humanity.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Great Post!

I thought it was a great sermon, yet felt I had very strong disagreement for the exact reasons on that statement.

Some of my best moments in life were hashed out through anger at God. And He hashed them out with me and loved me and I grew because of it.

Tim said...

I guess it boils down to your definition of 'okay'.

I agree with much of what you say -- God is MUCH bigger than our anger, and he certainly doesn't seem to be deeply offended with our anger any more than a mother of a two-year-old is deeply offended by her child's tantrum words, "I don't LIKE you, Mommy!"

I don't think it is OK to be angry at God in the same way that I don't think it is OK to tell a lie. Does God's throne rock when I sin? I don't think so. Just as a good friendship or marriage can survive anger, I think God would much rather we be angry with Him and work through that (inappropriate) anger than turn our backs on Him or reject Him.