7.13.2009

for many years to come

Yesterday we sang a modern adaptation of a familiar hymn. And while I was worshiping, I couldn't get the name "Ancient of Days" out of my head. It reminded me of a contemporary song I sang during college Christian gatherings.

The term appears three times in the Book of Daniel (all in ch7) as he describes a vision he sees of God Almighty. And the term refers to the eternality of God. No matter how far back we can imagine time, or how far forward we can project it, God was and is and is to come. It reminds me of one of my favorite verses in John (ch8). The Pharisees accuse Jesus of having a demon, and then ask Him if He thinks He's greater than Father Abraham. When Christ tells them that Abe rejoiced to see His day, they laugh and point that Jesus is younger than fifty, and He thinks He's seen Abe? Jesus responds "Before Abraham was born, I AM."

Scientists foolishly chase after the age of the earth, as if by pointing out it's 4 million years old says something more than if it's 4000 years old. And then relatedly what does that say about God? Make it 4 zillion years old. That God you keep mocking is still beyond your reckoning.

No comments: