11.15.2004

to Him, "what is truth?"

My church just went through what was to me an interminable series on rewards in Heaven. In past years, I think I would have violently attacked teachings which were unfamilar to me solely out of defense of my learned faith rather than out of a defense of the truth. What was different about my critical and admittedly closed-minded listening to this series was that I truly did not start closed but open -- it was as if the closing began on its own, some force closing the door without my selfish hand aiding it. That "force" I attribute to HS, for the first time activating my long-dormant sense of righteous anger over untruth rather than anger over unknown truth.

Either I'm doing something right, or I can't tell right from wrong any longer. I'm a little scared of both answers.

No comments: