8.29.2006

but to remain quiet

Today's NT reading sent me to a concordance looking for word occurrences, specifically the word "quiet". 1Tim2:2 speaks of our leading a "tranquil and quiet life". Concordance shows us only 47 refs to quiet, but only a few apply to what Paul is getting at here. The clear connection to other epistles is 1Thess4:11 and the call to making it our ambition to lead a quiet life.

I speak of noise quite often here. Still a bit noisy even now. Perhaps will one day speak on this issue of noise and peace.

Two other connections that caught my eye in the 47 refs is the obvious Ps23 connection to still waters, and the less obvious but equally striking Zeph3:17 which states that the Lord will be "quiet in His love." Not sure what that means. But imagine if that's simply a reference to the serenity and gentleness that accompanies the grace and the mercy. Even if it's not, for the still loudness right now, it's a soothing image to focus on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The noise in my life is anything and everything that keeps me distracted from being with Him. The peace comes when I can block out my surroundings and/or thoughts and just be. It's difficult, the noise is always right there ready to summon me away from my Lord. Wouldn't it be nice if we had an "easy" button for that :)
Robin

Wept_over said...

Sure would be nice. Perhaps an "easy" button is what spiritual maturity is all about -- the ability to only see the Lord and nothing to the sides. Spiritual maturity is developing blinders.