10.06.2008

had set his heart to study

I'm not one for seeing the world in shades of gray; it's black or it's not, case closed. So my opinions tend to be fairly direct. My black-and-white belief on seminary is that it's a waste of time. Let's just say that coloring has been bleeding a little recently.

My church is going through a doctrine series, so it's been interesting to hear the fundamentals taught from the perspective of long-established schools of thought. Secondly, prepping for a small group session last night on whether or not one can lose one's salvation, and I would've been overwhelmed without being able to study through long-argued lines of beliefs. Thirdly, responding to a friend's inquiries over the nature of our beliefs, and discussing seminary terms has forced me to counter with other seminary terms.

I stand by my belief that spending one's time poring over tomes about man-created belief systems is less useful than spending one's time poring over the only Book that matters. And I stand by my belief that some of the things learned in seminary interact with and affect faith very little; that if it doesn't enhance shepherding, it's not a useful piece of knowledge. However, I'll man up and take back that whole "waste of time" bit. Maybe "mostly a waste of time".

1 comment:

Kevin said...

I (very part time) go to a seminary and fully agree with you. In fact, I think it is funny that you have to spend tons of money and time in order to be considered worthy of being a pastor. Many people who pay and study should not be pastors and some who have never been to seminary should already be pastors.

Just my thoughts.

Why do I go to seminary? To Learn. If I felt God was calling me to pastor a church, I would do it with or without seminary credentials.