10.07.2008

the powers that are in

More studies need to be done on the differences in strength of will between people, methinks. The difference between me being institutionalized or non-functional due to my OCD and me living mostly normally, for example, is to me, simply a matter of my strength of will -- I choose not to let my problem hold me back. Some would say it's because I don't actually have the full-blown form of the problem (else I couldn't will myself out of it), and while that's partially true, I think that diminishes the role of will.

Some strength of will separates someone who allows themselves to get out of shape from someone who finishes triathlons. Some strength of will separates someone who dies in the wilderness after getting injured from someone who uses a swiss army knife to cut off his own arm to survive. Some strength of will separates someone who keeps his vices in moderation from someone who loses everything because of those same vices. And ultimately some strength of will separates someone who follows Christ faithfully from another believer who remains lukewarm.

You might use different terms to describe the self-effort in each of the examples above. The triathlete has self-discipline. The hiker has a survival instinct. The moderationist has self-control. And the believer has great faith. Tomato, to-mah-to. Call it what you want, but something is in you that is the difference between worthless slave and faithful servant, and I want to know what it is.

No comments: