4.17.2007

and search carefully until

My iPod's been locked on a particular song today. A line from the chorus stuck out to me: "right here at your feet, where I want to be". Spoke recently about Christian ambition. Spoke less recently about mediocrity. How do all these things tie together, you might ask. Make me a sandwich, I might answer. And bring me some chips. Maybe ruffles?

Some folks like to dream where they'll be in five or ten years. I try never to think beyond tomorrow. And yet I wonder whether or not I shouldn't be asking where it is I want to be, who it is I want to be. My fear is that is the wrong question -- not who I want to be, but who He wants me to be.

But what if those two questions aren't disparate? What if He gives you choices (since He does)? And what if aligned hearts have similar end goals (which they do)? And what if what I want to be is something pleasing to Him (which it is)? But what if that pleasing thing He wants me to be happens also to be what I want to be -- and if I don't ask, I'm not ever reaching that pleasing thing (which may or may not be)?

No comments: